May 25, 2018 12:30 AM HST Posted by Jason

I Already Lived

Growing up in San Diego, California, I had a good childhood. My parents were loving and there for me. I even attended private schools until my junior and senior years of high school when I attended a private school and a public school. I played and lettered in football, soccer, baseball and track in high school.

In football, we played against Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam. In soccer, I scored two goals in a California Interscholastic Federation (C.I.F.) playoff final game and led East County in assists while playing midfield. I turned down a scholarship to the College of Notre Dame because I wanted to live locally and attend San Diego State University. I tried out for Chuck Clegg’s soccer team at SDSU in 1992, but I was not one of the walk-ons selected.

When I was in 7th grade in junior high school, an 8th grader named Andrew Bowers used to bully me. I think he was jealous of me. He would push me around and tease me because I was overweight and younger than him. However, one day I fought back and he never bothered me again. I was walking down the hallway and he got me in a headlock. He choked me and said he would let me go if I would not retaliate. When he let me go, I punched him in the face. I think it suddenly dawned on him that I was unhappy with the way that he was treating me and that I wasn’t going to take it anymore.

I stole a cassette single from the music store in Parkway Plaza shopping center in El Cajon, California. I was about 15 years old with my friend Greg and I just put it in my pocket and left. I got a weekly allowance, so I must have had money, but I think I wanted to feel the rush because I had never really stolen anything like that. My heart raced and I tried to act normal. Fortunately, I didn’t get caught or make a habit of stealing.

One time I had a sleep over with Pat Keough and we wanted to sneak out and toilet paper some houses. We got dressed and talked ourselves into it, but as we were walking out the back door, I ran into the screen door. It was shut and I didn’t see it in the dark after I opened the sliding glass door. Pat dove into the kitchen and I ran back to bed. However, my dad was asleep on the living room sofa and it woke him up. Pat said he had to fearfully sit in the kitchen for an hour until he fell back to sleep before he could sneak back to bed. At one point the TV came on very loudly and scared him. My dad was eccentric and some of my friends were afraid of him, but my dad was always nice to them and it was kind of a respectful joke.

My first and one of my only karaoke experiences was in high school. My friends and I went to an Asian restaurant that let people sing karaoke. I sang, "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf and it went well. My friend Mark sang Barry Manilow’s song called, "I Write the Songs (That Make the Whole World Sing)".

In the movie theater parking lot in Santee, my friend and I saw two exciting girls talking to each other about 40-50 yards away. I screamed at them to come to us and they screamed at us to come to them. We decided to literally meet each other halfway in the dark parking lot late one night and we talked for quite awhile. I fell in love with the bleached blond goof because she was funny, nice and had a great body. We dated a bunch of times in groups and just us.

Once or twice some of my high school friends and I rode around in the back of my friend’s truck and hit mailboxes with bats. Mailbox baseball was fun and we’d try to do it late at night in quiet neighborhoods, so we wouldn’t get caught. We also egged and toilet papered houses sometimes too.

In the Balboa Park area of San Diego, there is a gym called Municipal Gym and it has three indoor basketball courts. The middle court is where the badasses played. My friends and I weren’t badasses, but we pretended like it one day and it was exciting. We played our hearts out and picked up a local, black, gangsta-looking guy or two that clearly wasn’t with our clean cut, conservative white group of private school dudes. Some of the best players wore jeans or even no shoes and could dunk with ease. Since many players could dunk, it was exciting to get a trash-talking dunker, pound a few beers and then play like the Lakers. After the game we bought some Mexican food at a local restaurant. We did that after our local basketball games at the elementary school too. What is better than playing pickup games with your best friends and dunking on little kid hoops when you’re growing up? It was sort of an East County San Diego tradition.

My friend James made me a fake ID when I was in high school, so I could buy beer. It was before California went to the credit card kind. I never knew how he did it, but it looked great and it worked. When I turned 22 years old on the ID, I bought beer at a liquor store in El Cajon. I didn’t realize that it was my birthday on the ID and the Indian man singing, "Happy Birthday" in broken English made me laugh.

I bought an ID at A1 Broadway Foto in downtown San Diego and it surprisingly worked well in Hawaii. It says in small print that they have not verified anything on the ID. However, when I vacationed in Hawaii at age 15 and 16, I looked older and possibly the legal age. I figured the ABC Store had seen hundreds of weird IDs from around the world and didn’t mind our weird one. We would buy whatever we could drink in one night because we didn’t want my parents to know.

When I was young my mom and I tended a small garden that she had in El Cajon. We grew vegetables like carrots, lettuce, watermelon, cucumbers and zucchini. We had fun and I liked helping and eating the harvest.

My mom grew up in Jonesville, North Carolina and I have numerous relatives there in several cities. Some of them have passed away, but I still have a lot of living relatives there. I have visited them several times. I drove my uncle’s manual truck when I was 16 years old from North Carolina to Tennessee and back in the dark to take a friend to the hospital to see someone.

I was stung by a Portuguese man-o-war in Maui and I was stung by a jellyfish in San Diego. The man-o-war sting was particularly painful and caused welts all over my body. One of its tentacles was ripped off its body and wrapped around my arm. One of the few doctors in Maui in 1988 sprinkled meat tenderizer all over my body to reduce the swelling.

During high school I played four sports until I started playing varsity. I played varsity football, soccer and track and field, but I was unable to play varsity track and field and baseball at the same time. When I played junior varsity baseball, I was able to do both. On the football team, I played special teams, linebacker, offensive line and fullback. On the soccer team, I played center midfield and on the baseball team I played first base and in the outfield.

When I played track and field, I primarily threw the discus and shot put. I did very well in the 2A Harbor League, but I didn’t win in the C.I.F. finals. I was able to throw the discus over 100 feet, probably because of my long arms and technique. I was good at the shot put, but there were a couple of students on my team (Aaron Mickaelian and Rozelle Cawthorne) that were bodybuilders and they threw it a little further. Since I went to a small school and we didn’t have a big track and field team, I usually participated in four events, which was the maximum. I mainly ran the 100-meter, 200-meter, 400-meter, relay races, long jumps and triple jumps. I didn’t care for the hurdles or long distances and we had two phenomenal long distance runners. We didn’t have a javelin or a pole vault, so we didn’t participate in those events.

The Daily Californian newspaper wrote about the soccer team a lot because we won a lot of games. They covered all of them along with the other sports. I used to clip stats and standings out of the newspaper and sometimes my name would be in it. Whenever I earned a point in soccer, my name was written in the stats section.

My junior varsity baseball team had a lot of fun. My coach was also a physical education teacher and the guys on the team were rowdy. Our high school shared a campus with Christian Heritage College and one time we went in their lounge and I put a pool ball in the microwave and set it for a few minutes to see what it would do. We ran as it smoked and set off an alarm and that made Coach Barker upset. He said, "This is what my brain looks like after meetings." The ball partially melted into a gooey, black liquid. Coach made us run some laps as a punishment.

When I was 15 years old, I made a deal with my parents and they said if I get all As and Bs they would buy me a motor scooter. I was a good student and graduated high school with a 3.3 grade point average with many extracurriculars, so this wasn’t too difficult during my sophomore year. After studying hard I was able to do it and they bought me a new, blue and white, Honda Aero motor scooter. It was fun and I rode it around El Cajon and San Diego county before I drove a car because that was the only legal thing I could drive until I got my driver’s license, which I did on the day I turned 16. It wasn’t quite freeway legal though, so I learned the back streets.

I usually rode it alone, but I took my big neighborhood friend Mikey with me once or twice. One time we drove several miles to obtain a wild rose and deliver it to a girl’s house. It was funny and touching. Stole it like I stole her heart.

When we were in high school, we liked to visit the shopping mall and hang out. We’d walk around and visit the music store, electronics store and a clothes store or two and we’d eat in the food mall. Sometimes we would see a movie or meet some girls.

At Grossmont Shopping Center, Mikey took his shoes and socks off and took a bunch of change out of the big wishing well. He walked up to a girl and said, "I saw you" and that was his horrible pickup line that somehow made the young girl interested in him. I met her friend and we saw a movie.

On a trip to Grossmont with Mark, it was late and we were picking up his Volkswagen van. We saw two girls walking out of the movie theater, so I jumped on the side of the van and we drove up to them and asked them if they wanted to go out with us. They did and it was a lot of fun. In fact, we got along well and Shannon was my girlfriend and the other girl was Mark’s girlfriend during the summer before I started college and for some of the time that I lived in the dorm at SDSU. Shannon had bleached blonde hair and she was still in high school. Her hair was clipped short on the back of her head, but only for a few inches by her neckline.

I ran a 6:25 mile in junior high school. I rode my bike 50 miles, from Rosarito, Mexico to Ensenada, Mexico in 2000 and 2006 on a beach cruiser. I have also saunaed for over one hour and I have played in flag football and indoor soccer leagues as a child and an adult.

When I was almost 15 years old, my estranged grandpa died in Black Canyon City, Arizona, so my dad and I flew there to get his things. He was professional gambler and lived in a trailer park in a small city. We found random things that he had been saving and brought them home because my mom was the eldest and closest child who had been taking care of his mother.

Pat, his brothers and his dad took us to the subway and we rode it downtown. While we were waiting after visiting one of the stops, somebody was smoking a cigarette on me and I was waving it away. However, when the badass-looking street person looked at me I stopped coughing and started pretending that I was shooing a fly.

Before we were married, my cousin Bryan and I went to Tijuana, Mexico to party. We ordered some drinks and danced and watched a dog and pony show. We drank so much that we paid a hooker to go to a hotel room with us. I chickened out and passed out and Bryan fucked her six ways to Sunday. We only had the room for a few hours and I took an epic blanket that became my favorite. Probably had bed bugs.

I have fished in the Pacific Ocean and in several freshwater lakes. I have caught bass, crappie, catfish, bluegill, trout, tuna and even a stingray. One time I caught something in the La Jolla Kelp Beds and I had to cut my line because it wrapped itself around the kelp and I couldn’t reel it in. The back end of the boat was lowering and the boat was being towed backwards before we cut the line, so it could have been a very big fish.

When I fished on a boat with my dad and Pat in Hawaii, I caught a big tuna. It took me about 45 minutes to reel it in. My dad caught a big skipjack tuna and our story made it in The Daily Californian. It was a good photo of me and my dad and our fish and Pat holding his pole. Literally.

When I attended San Diego State University and lived in Tarastec dorm in 1992-1993, I had a steady girlfriend named Jenny and she was beautiful. She lived on my floor because it was a co-ed dorm and we would have sex in my room all of the time. She would scream and moan and my dorm’s resident adviser (RA) was female and she lived directly across the hall from me and wasn’t too happy about it. She even posted a noise complaint on my door because Jenny was so loud!

Jenny was the complete package. She liked to party (e.g. dance, drink, smoke, trip, etc.), she was gorgeous and she was smart. She also happened to like great music because her dad was in a band. We dated for about a year and a half, but she moved back home to Hesperia, California and we lost touch as we went our separate ways.

I attended some SDSU Aztec football games. Marshall Faulk, Darnay Scott and La’Roi Glover were three of the stars that played while I was there. Faulk had some wheels and he would turn a corner and put lots of daylight between him and the next player before he reached the end zone. That is what helped make him such a great professional player. Faulk was the Heisman trophy runner-up and he eventually made the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011.

I attended the San Diego Sockers’ indoor soccer games at the Sports Arena. Juli Veee and Branko Segota were exciting to see. I also attended a San Diego Gulls hockey game.

I have drank beers from all over the world. Before I switched to organic liquids in 2016, I drank Coors, Budweiser, Amstel, Guinness, Miller, Dos Equis, Corona, Maui Brewing Company, Longboard beers, Old English 800, St. Ides, Night Train, Mad Dog 20/20, Tecate, Heineken, Stella Artois, Shock Top, Newcastle, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Rolling Rock, Sam Adams, Natural Light, Sapporo, Michelob, Banana Bread Beer, Tsingtao, Fosters, Red Stripe, Colt 45, Magnum, Hurricane, Schlitz, Steel Reserve, Mickey’s, King Cobra, etc. I have also drank vodka, tequila, dark and light rum, coconut rum, triple sec, brandy, whisky, etc. I have also drank red and white wine along with rice wine.

When I was 20 years old in 1994, I drank too much at my Kappa Alpha fraternity house and rolled through a stop sign. My apartment was only a few blocks away, but a campus police officer pulled me over and I failed a field sobriety test, so he drove me to jail and gave me a breathalyzer test, which I failed. I was only in jail for about six hours before Pat posted my bail and Bobby picked me up, but I was charged with driving under the influence (DUI). My father and I retained an attorney and fought it in court, but I lost and my driver’s license was suspended for six months. People aren’t legally allowed to drink until they are 21 years old, so my sentence that included no additional jail time was pretty insignificant and I was allowed to drive again after I turned 21.

Since I didn’t have a driver’s license, I got a job at Rubio’s Fish Tacos. It was one of the franchise’s first stores and my only job in the fast food industry. It was ok because it kept me busy and it was in walking distance. I thought the managers tended to avoid the work and overwork the employees though.

The DUI was a wakeup call for me because it deeply sunk in that I could have hit and killed somebody by accident, had to live with it on my conscience and went to prison for the rest of my life. I vowed to never drive drunk again and I started attending Bible studies and stopped drinking for a few years. I took a religious path for about a dozen years.

While I attended SDSU, I took some 1-credit P.E. classes at the beach through Mission Bay Aquatic Center. I took surfing, waterskiing and kayaking. The kayaking class taught us how to use river and ocean kayaks and we kayaked from Mission Bay, through a channel to the ocean and we took a wave and landed them. I capsized and lost expensive, blue, John Lennon sunglasses. I also took a bowling class for P.E. credit at the university’s bowling alley.

I have jet skied, knee boarded and wake boarded. I learned to surf and bodyboard and I have even caught double overhead waves on a bodyboard in many different beaches. La Jolla Shores, Oceanside, Blacks Beach, Solana Beach, Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Tourmaline (aka "Turmo"), Moonlight Beach, Trestles, Morro Bay, Sunset Cliffs, Coronado, Newport Beach, Long Beach and Imperial Beach in California and Makapu’u, Sandy Beach, Waimea Bay, Pipeline and Poipu Beach in Hawaii are most of the beaches that I’ve been to and caught waves at. I have caught waves with dolphins in Pacific Beach and at Sunset Cliffs and they don’t understand the right of way rules that boarders abide by. I have also gotten tossed and spun underwater so badly that I didn’t know which way was up. Good thing I guessed right because I almost ran out of breath. Shooting piers, which means catching a wave in between the pier pylons, has been exciting as well.

When I was returning to California on one of my cross-country trips, I was stopped at a routine checkpoint in Hobbs, New Mexico. I didn’t have my ID, so they gave me a ticket and said that I could see a judge the following day. Therefore, I checked into a hotel for the night in Hobbs and it was a little creepy. The next day I talked to the judge and he was a Mexican man with an eye patch. He said I could send him proof of my ID when I returned to California, so I did that and paid a small fine.

I visited Universal Studios when they featured the Backdraft movie scenes. It actually ruined the magic of not knowing what was really happening. I compare the experience to when I rented an office from a church. I got to see what it was like behind the scenes and it was more ordinary than I realized.

My church youth group went to the beach a lot during the summer. Typically they would have a bonfire at Mission Bay or Mission Beach or in that general area. They would bring volleyball nets and food to cook on the bbq grills. Sometimes people would even bring motorboats for waterskiing.

San Diego State University’s campus was amazing and five years that I will never forget. I was even able to live in a co-ed dorm for a year and join a social fraternity called Kappa Alpha Order. Becoming a founding father of the Gamma Iota chapter at SDSU was rad because I didn’t have to pledge. We actually made the pledge program and didn’t haze them too badly. I met all sorts of interesting people there, in my dorm and at fraternity parties and regular parties.

Before I was married and divorced I dated plenty of girls like blondes, brunettes, paraplegics, a deaf girl, tall and short girls, cheerleaders, liberals and conservatives, Christians and unbelievers, etc. I had a lot of fun swimming in the dating pool and I dated almost constantly until I was engaged to my former wife. I was engaged two other times before her, but they didn’t work out.

I doubt that I will get married again, but it was quite an experience. I was married for 10 years to a Lebanese/Armenian/Palestinian American girl. She was born in Beirut, Lebanon, but her father was born in Palestine.

Sarine and I met at a big Christian music festival in Monterey, California called Spirit West Coast. I had jumped up and down at an Audio Adrenaline concert and I went to a late night comedian in a big tent. I was dirty from sweating all day and we were riding a bus back to our campsites and her and her sister started talking to me. She gave me her contact information and we kept in touch. I met several people that year, but she lived the closest to me (about 90 minutes away).

We had a daughter named Jordan and I raised her while we were together and that was an amazing experience as well. I was the kind of husband and father that was always there for them and my self-employed schedule and stay-at-home lifestyle let me enjoy every minute that I could get with the girls.

In 2011, I was thrown in jail in San Diego for directing a medical marijuana collective. I was in jail for four days and I outlined that experience in great detail in my book called The Wrong Side. I wrote copious notes about everything that happened as it happened and I published the book while I had criminal charges because I didn’t know what would happen. While I was in jail I had to tear blank pages out of the back of a Bible, so I had something to write on. I also wrote and published a book on growing marijuana while I had the charges because it was and is something that I believe in.

After fighting the four felonies for awhile, they dropped three of them. It took an entire year of preliminary hearings before my trial date. On the day of my trial, my attorney said that they offered me a one misdemeanor plea deal. It was a tough decision, but I took it. I simply didn’t trust the jury to make the right decision, but I knew that I was innocent. The prosecution was going to play dirty and get my former wife to testify against me. They were also going to attempt to stick me with all four felonies. It saved me from having to go through a criminal trial, but part of me wonders what would have happened if I would have represented myself and fought the charges.

The maximum sentence could have been 5-6 years in prison. However, they were trumped up charges and reduced them to get a plea deal. The trial would have been pretty absurd from a rational perspective. The worst they had on me was Jordan was around marijuana plants. That’s not a scary thing. A pot plant has never hurt a child.

I fought four criminal, felony charges for a year and took a misdemeanor plea deal without jail time. It was not a drug-related offense, but it was a misdemeanor in child endangerment. It was a bullshit charge and Jordan was never in danger, but I didn’t trust a jury to declare me innocent because the prosecution was going to throw the book at me and exaggerate everything to give me the maximum sentence. My public defender seemed ill-prepared too.

In 2013, I was thrown in jail in Long Beach, California. The police were doing an after-hours sweep of the downtown library area and they detained me. When I asked the officer if he could turn off his car’s engine, he immediately handcuffed me and arrested me. He might have given me a warning or a ticket if I didn’t say anything, but it was disgusting and the pollution was bothering me. It also seemed like a needless waste of gas. I wasn’t in jail too long and I called my father and he bailed me out. He also said something very important to me that I will never forget.

I have driven across the country five times and visited most of the United States. After earning a B.A. in Psychology and a minor in English from SDSU, I visited five graduate schools around the country and moved to Lynchburg, Virginia to attend Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary (part of Liberty University, which is the biggest Christian college in the world). Since I was on a conservative religious path, I visited Baptist Bible College and Seminary in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, Bob Jones Seminary in Greenville, South Carolina, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, Texas. They rolled out the red carpet for me and made it fun to visit, except Bob Jones didn’t want me to listen to Christian rock while I stayed a night in their dorms. I was the only person with a goatee and they said that I would need to shave it before school started.

Before I visited these colleges, I flew to Dallas and visited Dallas Theological Seminary. That was my first choice because I thought that it was biblically sound and the pastor of my home church Dr. David Jeremiah went there along with others like Chuck Swindoll. It was a good visit and they were smart people, but they denied my application. Nonetheless, I liked hearing Dr. John Hannah’s lecture.

On my way home from Dallas, I bought a shirt in the airport. I didn’t have any clean ones, so I was just wearing a jacket. Since I had been a Green Bay Packers fan since childhood I bought a green Packers shirt. I had it for many years too. Brett Favre was magical. Somebody recently said that I looked like him and I was flattered.

I ended up moving back to San Diego before earning my degree because they threw me out of Liberty, but I made the Dean’s List for my exceptional grades and I finished my M.A. and Ph.D. in Biblical Studies through extension courses at Louisiana Baptist University. I even flew to Shreveport, Louisiana for graduation and coincidentally the pastor of my church (Thomas Road Baptist Church) in Lynchburg, who was also the Chancellor of Liberty University, Jerry Falwell, gave the commencement address.

Liberty threw me out because they caught me having sex with my fiance in a hotel room in Dayton, Tennessee. Her friends caught us and told on her and her school called my school and we got in trouble. I stayed in Lynchburg a few more months before I returned to San Diego and I hung out with gay people and hillbillies that were rejected by the religious people. It was interesting to see the other side in a small town of 30,000 people that had been given large doses of religion like a proving ground that they didn’t want.

On my trips across and around the country, I visited places like the Grand Canyon (with snow and without snow), the Carlsbad Caverns, Arcosanti, Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Coral Castle, Lady Liberty, Niagara Falls (in Canada and in the U.S.), La Paz (Mexico), Washington, D.C., Las Vegas, St. Louis Arch, Hollywood, Memphis, Tennessee, Santa Barbara, California, San Quentin State Prison, Hobbs, New Mexico, Amarillo and Lubbock, Texas, Lake Havasu, Arizona, Laughlin, Nevada, Bank One Ballpark, Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Scranton, Pennsylvania, Hoover Dam, Julian, Mt. Laguna, Yosemite, Death Valley, San Francisco, Berkeley, Squaw Lake, Hume Lake, Santee Lake and El Capitan Lake in California, Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Lanai and Molokai) and I watched Independence Day fireworks from Hoboken, New Jersey.

While on trips I have visited Kappa Alpha Order fraternity houses in many cities and universities like University of California at Riverside, Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas, Milllsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi, University of Maryland in College Park and University of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

When I arrived at Morro Bay, California there was large, rough surf and there were signs posted that said they had spotted a shark in the water that day. However, since I had driven several hours to catch big waves and camp there, I went in the water anyway. My session lasted about 45 minutes and it was difficult to get out and catch waves because of the conditions, but I didn’t see any sharks. I figured if they were still there I would spot them and get out of the water. I also thought that they probably didn’t like such rough surf. Shark attacks are rare and you have a better chance of being hit by lightning.

While in Maui, I have went on whale watching trips from Lahaina. We always see whales because they jump out of the water, They usually don’t come too close to the boat, but I take some pictures and videos of them. It’s exciting to be so close to such majestic sea creatures.

In 2013, my friend offered me a place to sleep in Compton, California, so I took him up on his offer. However, we slept outside in a truck with a large camper shell. In the morning he was gone and it started to move! I didn’t know where we were going or if I should say anything. I also wasn’t sure if the driver was the owner or somebody that was stealing the vehicle, It turned out that it was the owner and he was just moving it to the other side of the street so he wouldn’t get a ticket because the street sweeper was coming.

While I attended Long Beach City College, I maintained a 3.0 grade point average. It wasn’t easy because I was homeless. I slept on the street every night and went through various trials and tribulations like theft, being arrested, bugs, rain, freaks, etc. In the morning when I woke up, I would take the bus to the gym and shower before class and then I would go to the college and take classes and study every day.

In 2012, I visited 12 medical marijuana collectives in Anaheim, California in one day. I drove there from San Diego in the morning and it was a long, exciting day. Every collective sold unique medicine and they each had a different, new patient special. Some of them gave away a free joint. Others gave away a gram of weed or an edible. Some of them sold marijuana shakes, capsules and other products. When I returned home to San Diego that evening, I had spent a few hundred dollars, but I had all kinds of goodies and flowers that lasted for weeks.

I have fasted for 40 days three times. I completed them different ways, but the most recent one was without any food or fruit juice and just organic coffee, organic tea and a little organic honey and lots of water, of course. I drink a little organic apple cider vinegar as well.

Creating websites has been an exciting activity for me that I began in 1996. It used to be a side job, but now I simply maintain mine. They have steadily improved over the years as technology has improved. I know different scripts and codes and I type the html pages and upload them to my server.

I have proudly tried marijuana, LSD, MDMA, keef, hash, mushrooms, salvia, cocaine, crack, tobacco cigarettes, blunts, corn cob tobacco pipes, bidis, cloves, hookah, nutmeg and morning glory seeds. I have had prescriptions for hydrocodone and marinol. I directed a medical marijuana collective and learned how to clone cannabis plants and grow them to maturity and harvest them. I built a greenhouse and a grow room too.

I have flown in helicopters into the Grand Canyon, Arizona and over Haleakala crater in Maui, Hawaii. I also drove to the top of Haleakala in a convertible car and watched the sunrise. In Sedona, Arizona, I analyzed the vortices on top of the red rocks.

I have ridden in Greyhound buses many places. For instance, I rode from San Diego to Memphis, Tennessee. I also took one from Washington, D.C. to Baltimore, Maryland, New York City to Canada, from New York City to Washington, D.C., from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara and from Los Angeles to Oakland.

At the Canadian border, they made all of the passengers get off and the Canadians searched everything. I had some medical marijuana (Three Kings) from California with me, so they confiscated it. They were looking for a reason to deny me entry. Perhaps they just wanted my weed. I was going to see a doctor because I didn’t trust American doctors anymore and I thought that I might have a disease that they were not diagnosing. However, I didn’t want to tell that to the border police, so I didn’t make a good argument against deportation. Eventually they made me sign a paper that basically said this never happened and they took my marijuana and drove me to Buffalo, New York.

When I lived in Long Beach in 2012-2014, I took the Long Beach Transit bus everywhere. Their bus system was good and it connected to adjoining cities like Lakewood too. The Metro train took me to Los Angeles and places around there like Hollywood. They were planning on extending it to Santa Monica beach and much further inland.

In 2015, I was hit by Bus 13 in Honolulu. The bus was stopped and I rode past it on the sidewalk, entered the crosswalk and then the street in front of it. However, it mowed me down because there was no bike lane and the driver was negligent. I tried to stay up and my left handlebar grip left a long, rubber mark down the side of the bus. However, when I reached the rear wheel well, I was overcompensating and I fell over. I was carrying some groceries and they were scattered on the ground and the asphalt scraped my knee and my arm and I was bleeding. The bus stopped and the police and an ambulance came. They took a report and treated me, but I decided to avoid going to the hospital. My wrist still isn’t fully healed.

When I talked to the bus company’s attorney, he said that he saw the video and he blamed me for the accident and said I should be more careful. He let me pick up a CD with the footage from his office and several of the bus’ cameras recorded me and the accident. I think he is wrong and that it is their fault and I may sue them one day. I haven’t decided, but I would prefer for my wrist to feel like new without medication and surgery and money won’t make that happen, so I probably won’t.

I was also hit on my bike by a criminal defense attorney. He rolled through a red light and was not looking at me, so he hit my back tire and damaged it. He denied doing anything wrong and even said that his car was incapable of cutting my tire like it did. However, he ended up paying me $35 for the damage, which was half of the estimate that I got. I picked up the cash from his downtown office and it was on the 13th floor.

I have snorkeled in places like La Jolla Cove, California, Hanauma Bay, Oahu and Black Rock, Maui and Avalon in Catalina Island, California.

I have started two non-profit corporations. The medical marijuana collective was a mutual benefit non-profit. I also started a 501(c)(3), religious non-profit corporation and kept up with its incorporation for about a decade.

I have been tattooed four times. One is a black tribal on my left arm. On the outside of my right calf, I have a red guitar pick with the word "Catalyst" on it. It is in my hand writing. On my back, I have a black outline of a wave crashing at the beach. I drew it in high school when I dreamed about the beach and I taught Jordan how to draw it too. I also have a black crescent moon on my right calf and it is the way it looked the moment that I was born.

The tribal armband, guitar pick and beach scene were tattooed by an artist in Spring Valley, California. We did a barter and I made a website for his company and he did the artwork. The crescent moon was inked in Long Beach, California. I may get a lion inked next and I may use a tattoo artist in Honolulu, Hawaii. A wave would be another cool tattoo to get on my leg.

I have trimmed my body hair and shaven it. Someone even waxed my chest one time and it was painful. I also had laser hair removal on my chest and stomach. I have shaven my head twice and I have dyed my hair brown, red and blonde. I have grown a few beards, along with sideburns and goatees and even a Magnum P.I. mustache once or twice. I had a flattop and a mullet.

I have attended many San Diego Padres baseball games in Jack Murphy Stadium (which was renamed Qualcomm Stadium) and Petco Park. I have also attended Spring training baseball games in Yuma and Peoria, Arizona and a Padres game at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix, Arizona. I met Roberto Alomar, Benito Santiago and Dick Williams.

I’ve been to some large religious crusades. At Anaheim Stadium in California, I have been to Harvest Crusades and a Billy Graham Crusade. My mom got saved at a Billy Graham Crusade in North Carolina in 1961. I have also been to several Miles Ahead Crusades and one was in Visalia, California.

I visited the Peyote Foundation in Kearny, Arizona. Before I visited I contacted them and they told me to call them from a payphone in Kearny and they would come and lead me there and they did. However, one kid jumped on the hood of my car and told me to leave as I was driving into the compound. He didn’t like it there.

I met Leo Mercado and his wife inside the house. They made tofu for me and the people living there and it was good.

Mercado explained to me what it was like to take peyote. He said they eat it together in a drum circle. Within a few minutes they all throw up and see visions. They also apparently see the same visions (at least to some degree). It’s a fascinating way to ingest a sacrament.

Mercado showed me his peyote garden and it was beautiful. They weren’t ready to harvest and he didn’t offer to give me any, but they were small budding cacti. They looked pretty normal too.

I stayed there one night and I talked for hours under the stars to a Vietnam veteran. His nickname was Rattlesnake, so that’s what I called him. He never told me his real name, but he had one leg. We talked about anything and everything.

During this time of my life I was religious and a devout Christian. However, I didn’t go there to preach to them or anything. Nonetheless, I think Mercado might have read my online profile at the time and thought I was religious and treated me a certain way because of it.

I might have been able to steal some peyote, but I didn’t want to. I made a small donation and they gave me some sage that they grew and it was good.

Since before I was born, my parents have had season tickets to the San Diego Chargers football team, so I have attended many games. Pre-game tailgate barbecues with a bunch of chefs and the "Asphalt Gourmet" were excellent. Earl Schryver cooked at the Grille at Maderas Golf Club in Poway, California and he would prepare food the night before the game and bring it in a refrigerated van. Some of his specialties were kobe beef, creme brulee (and he would crystallize the sugar on top with a torch at the game) and scallops wrapped in bacon. His chef friends would bring liquor and other foods that they created. It was much better than the typical hot dog and hamburger bbq. They would let people eat for free for the first time and then they wanted $20, but would settle for $10. It was worth it because the food was expensive.

While I was walking outside the stadium I saw Kelsey Grammer one time. I immediately recognized him, so I said, "You’re Kelsey Grammer!" and he smiled and agreed and I said, "Enjoy the game!" and left him alone. I liked watching him in Frasier and Cheers.

My dad taught me how to shoot a BB gun rifle when I was young. I also had a CO2-powered BB pistol in high school and when I was in graduate school in Virginia I bought a .357 Smith & Wesson pistol.

When I was 16 years old, I stole some car stereos with my friends. We drove around San Diego at night and looked for pull-out stereos because we knew people that would buy them. Sometimes we would shoot a window with the BB pistol, so we could get the stereo. One night we stole a stereo and found about $100 in cash. Instead of stopping for the night we continued and ended up getting arrested.

A car on a dark, quiet street appeared to have a pull-out stereo in it, so I shot it with the BB pistol and Jared punched through the tinted window that spidered. It was an in-dash stereo, so we left it and drove away. However, it was a cul-de-sac, so we had to turn around and when we turned around we noticed the owner and a couple of people in the street looking at the car. Since it was dark and late and nobody was outside they knew it was us. I was driving and I quickly drove away, but they jumped in a truck and followed us. They chased us through several cities and I ran some red lights and broke speed laws to get away from them. I even drove in the fast lane on I-8 East until the off-ramp and sharply turned right and exited the freeway, but they stayed right behind me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dead end street with a cul-de-sac. They said that they were on the phone with the police. Nonetheless, I was eventually able to drive around them, but several police cars were already there, so I stopped and we were arrested. We had thrown the stereo and the BB pistol out the window on the freeway. All we had was a paintball gun, a few CDs and some cash.

The cops took us to the sheriff station and called our parents. We got lucky though because we were minors and we simply got on the juvenile diversion program until we turned 18 years old and they removed it from our record. We couldn’t get arrested for any reason until our 18th birthday though, so I had to obey the curfew law for the next year or so, which usually made me come home earlier than I wanted.

I have been to Disneyland (several times), Six Flags Magic Mountain (several times), Great America, Knott’s Berry Farm (several times), Raging Waters, LEGOLAND, Six Flags Over Georgia and Knott’s Soak City (which is now called Aquatica). I had season passes for Sea World and the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park. I have also been to the Del Mar race track and the Del Mar Fair (which is now called the San Diego Fair), the Orange County Fair and Hollywood Park.

I have been to the Viper Room, Whisky A Go Go, Hollywood Palladium, Roxy, Troubadour, Wiltern, Staples Center, Home Depot Center, Qualcomm On the Grass, House of Blues (San Diego, Anaheim, Los Angeles, etc.) and many other concert venues (several on Indian reservations). I have been to comedy clubs like the Ice House, Comedy Store, Hollywood Improv, American Comedy Company, Laugh Factory and the Upright Citizens Brigade (in Los Angeles for shows and in New York just to peek inside). I have seen comedians like Jerry Seinfeld, Dane Cook (who I met), Tom Green, Iliza Shlesinger (who I also met), Chelsea Peretti, Esther Povitsky, Bob Smiley and others perform.

I have also been in the studio audience for tapings of the Tonight Show with Jay Leno in Burbank, California and Late Night with David Letterman in New York City. Ozzy Osbourne performed on David Letterman’s show when I was there. I went to a play in London that featured Gillian Anderson and I have seen the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey’s Circus and Cirque du Soleil. I had tickets to be in the audience for the Voice, but I couldn’t make it.

I have recorded songs in London and in California. I have taken guitar lessons, piano lessons and voice lessons.

In 2003, I ran for governor of California in the recall election when Gray Davis was recalled. Arnold Schwarzenegger won. The experience led to a debate with other candidates at UC Berkeley and I threw out the first pitch at a minor league baseball game in Modesto, California. I sang and played guitar on The Recall Song that I wrote about the election. It highlighted some of the more entertaining aspects of the race and candidates.

I have owned a record player, tape cassette players, a Sony Discman (that I used in my first car’s stereo in 1990), CD players and MP3 players. Now I use a Kindle, iPad and a netbook to hear music. All of them were given to me as gifts.

I have participated in about 20 formal debates with atheists and different types of theists. These debates were live in front of an audience, written debates and phone debates. Some were informal discussions, but others were timed and followed strict protocols.

I used to have and play games on the Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System, PlayStation 2 and 3 and Wii game systems. I had a pinball machine and a Pong game. My first computer was a TI-99/4A and I have had iPhones (and I jailbreaked the early models), an Android phone, flip phones and even one of those big, early cell phones. I have also had an iMac, netbook, laptop and desktop computer.

I have been bitten by a rat and at least two dogs. I released the rat a block away from my home and in a rugged area, but within a few minutes it found its way back into my home! Speaking of rodents, I’ve seen snakes eat mice. When I had a fish tank, I sometimes fed the fish with live brine shrimp.

When I was very young a dog bit me in the face. I was so young that I don’t recall it, but my parents have told me the story. It left a scar over my eye and to the side of my mouth, but they are barely noticeable now.

My friend Charlie and I wanted to play in the farmer’s yard, so we went to his home to ask him for permission. However, he had a bunch of animals and one was a dog. They were behind his fence, but when we approached they ran at us and the dog caught me and bit me in the butt. It drew a little blood, so I had to get a tetanus shot.

My other friend named Charlie got a M1000 firecracker and we lit it inside of a soccer ball in a racquetball court in El Cajon, California. It made a very loud noise and we ran. An M1000 is equivalent to a half of a stick of dynamite.

Charlie, Greg, Kasey, Jenkins and a couple of other friends and I liked to play mailbox baseball and egg things and people in high school. We had a water balloon launcher and used it to launch eggs. One time we hit some guys in a movie theater parking lot and they chased us. Kasey’s truck wouldn’t start, so they were on us before it finally turned over. They ran beside it and jumped in and egged us with our own eggs. We fought them off and threw them out of the truck, but Kasey ran through a red light and the police pulled him over. We gave the police a fake story about some thugs that egged us and they said that they were looking for guys that had been egging the city all night, so they thought it was them. Since they left us and chased them, we got away without getting arrested.

After learning soccer from my dad and playing many years of outdoor and indoor soccer, I earned a couple of coaching licenses and coached soccer. I earned the National E and National D licenses from Cal South and I coached a U17 Albion club team, the Kearny High School varsity boys team, soccer clinics in Phoenix, Arizona and Colorado, the Calvin Christian junior varsity boys team, the Santa Fe Christian junior high school boys team and the Arcadia high school freshman/sophomore boys team. I also coached my daughter Jordan in co-ed youth soccer and she performed very well and had fun. I did 1-on-1 soccer training with athletes too.

After learning how to play guitar, I taught guitar lessons. I also taught piano, keyboard, synthesizer, drums, bass guitar and voice lessons. My music lessons business was successful and exciting and I taught for about 10 years in San Diego. When I began I drove around the county to teach students, but I eventually taught from an office and then my Pacific Beach home.

I lived in many different places after being born in La Mesa, California and growing up in El Cajon, California. I lived in San Diego, Linda Vista, Oceanside, Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Pacific Beach, Pasadena and Long Beach, California and in Hawaii (Honolulu, Oahu, Kahului, Maui and Pahoa, Hawaii). I also lived in Lynchburg, Virginia, but I already mentioned that.

When I lived in Pasadena, I was married and we moved there to be closer to my former wife Sarine’s parents, so they could see our daughter. We lived on the Pasadena/Arcadia border and I rented a big house with a big front yard. Sometimes colorful peacocks from the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden would wander into our yard.

I never imagined that I would live anywhere near Los Angeles because LA has always been San Diego’s rival, but living in Long Beach and visiting Lakewood was an exciting experience. I attended Long Beach City College and studied journalism and creative writing for two and a half years. Keeping my grades over a 3.0 wasn’t easy while living on the street, but I did it and I also took a few electives like broadcasting and guitar. I had never attended classes at a junior college because I went straight to SDSU for my undergraduate degree.

While I attended LBCC, I wrote and edited the Viking campus newspaper. I learned how to write news articles and edit according to Associated Press style. I also attended a Journalism Association of Community Colleges convention.

Mid-semester I had the opportunity to move to Hawaii, so I jumped on it. Apple sent me a $252 settlement check in a class-action lawsuit that I barely remembered signing. It was the same amount as a one-way plane ticket from Los Angeles to Honolulu.

I had visited the Hawaiian islands many times, so I knew that I would like it there. My family took me and a friend to Maui, Kauai, Lanai and Oahu on summer vacations and we enjoyed it a lot. I also visited Maui after I graduated from SDSU and I took my former wife to the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu, Oahu.

Speaking of , I had the opportunity to live three miles from Pahoa in the Hilo side of the Big Island for three months and in Kahului, Maui for two months. I captured a lot of the natural beauty with pictures, played guitar in Maui and enjoyed it.

I have visited Israel twice. I went with a Liberty University study tour and then I took my former wife Sarine. Liberty’s tour guide explained the biblical sites to us and we had exclusive access to the Garden Tomb. We visited Masada, the Dead Sea, Qumran caves, En Gedi, Megiddo, the Holy Sepulchre, Upper Room, Via Dolorosa, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Caesarea, Mount of Beatitudes, Temple Mount, Wailing Wall, Golgotha, Church of the Nativity, Basilica of the Annunciation, Garden of Gethsemane, Mount of Olives, Lazarus’ tomb and other places in Jerusalem.

When I went with the tour, we sang in Bethlehem on Orthodox Christmas. It was the year that Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization Yasser Arafat was forbidden to visit, but rumors circulated that he wore a disguise and snuck into the city to celebrate anyways. We took a voyage on the Sea of Galilee and on the way home from Israel, we stopped by Athens, Greece for a few days and visited the Parthenon and the Acropolis.

When Sarine and I visited Israel, they detained us in Stockholm, Sweden and interrogated us. There had been some recent terror attacks, so it seemed like they were questioning some people. For about 45 minutes we had to explain to Israeli officers who we were and what we were doing and why. They were nosy and curious, but listened and seemed okay. However, they lost our luggage because we had to take the next flight and our luggage was on the plane we missed. They put us up in a hotel in Netanya for a few days and delivered our bags to us with a note that they had been searched. We hadn’t planned on visiting Netanya, but it was a nice coastal city although there wasn’t much for us to do.

We spent one week driving clockwise around the country and one week walking around Jerusalem (where my daughter Jordan was conceived). Walking through Hezekiah’s tunnel was exciting because the study tour didn’t do that and it was dark and mysterious in almost knee-deep water. On both trips I was baptized in the Jordan River. We were safe and we only met one other American tourist the whole time that we were there. His name was Richard and he lived in Arizona. We actually kept in touch with him and visited him in Scottsdale, Arizona. Even though we were safe, shortly after we left the country a bomb went off in a town called Netanya where they sent us to to wait at a hotel for our missing luggage.

When I was in Israel on the study tour, I met a girl and we fell in love. Her name was Rexella and we continued our relationship when we returned to the states. However, her parents lived in Atlanta, Georgia and she lived in Dayton, Tennessee while she attended Bryan College. Both cities were far from me in Lynchburg.

I had a lot of fun with Rexella and her mom loved me, but her dad didn’t. He even pulled a gun on me one time. Rexella wanted to leave her home, so she was packing some things. She stayed with me for awhile in Lynchburg. We went to 24 Hour Fitness together and tanned at the same location.

Rexella and I had a whirlwind engagement trip and drove to South Carolina, picked out an engagement ring and almost got married. We also drive to Shiloh, Texas for a "Guild" concert for fans of Caedmon’s Call. It was a unique experience and when I yelled, "Play Free Bird!" from atop a giant bail of hay they started playing it.

When I was a devout Christian, I attended a music festival called Spirit West Coast in Monterey, California several times. They eventually had them in San Diego too, so I just went to those. I was introduced to a lot of interesting Christian bands there that I hadn’t heard anywhere else.

I have been to hundreds of concerts around the country and the world. My first concert was Guns N Roses and my mom dropped me off and picked me up when I was 15 years old because I wasn’t legally allowed to drive yet. I have also seen Stone Temple Pilots (twice), The Beach Boys, Goo Goo Dolls, Aerosmith, Cypress Hill, Peter Gabriel, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day (three times), Santana, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Wailers, Slash, Ozzy Osbourne (twice), The B52s, U2 (twice), Alice in Chains, Steve Miller Band, Adam Lambert, Duran Duran, Hole, Marilyn Manson, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Foster the People, Foo Fighters, Bush, The Cure, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Creed, The Offspring, Kesha (twice), Poison, Def Leppard, Sting, The Cult, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Billy Idol, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (twice), Third Eye Blind, Lady Gaga, Cage the Elephant, Katy Perry, Metallica (twice), Pantera, Collective Soul, Live, The Eagles, Seal, "Weird Al" Yankovic, Slaughter, Smashing Pumpkins (twice), Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morrisette.

I have seen cover bands perform songs by The Beatles, The Cure, Van Halen, Oingo Boingo, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Doors and ZZ Top. I have seen Christian bands like P.O.D. (twice), Switchfoot (many times), Mutemath, Tait, Audio Adrenaline (twice), Third Day, Jars of Clay, Sixpence None the Richer, Rebecca St. James, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jeff Deyo, The Kry, Phil Keaggy, Larry Norman, DC Talk, Newsboys (several times), Delirious (twice), Dryve (several times), Skillet (twice), TobyMac, Kevin Max (twice), Caedmon’s Call, Luna Halo, Eric Champion, The Elms, The Listening (formerly Rock N Roll Worship Circus), Big Tent Revival, The Waiting, Tree 63, Guardian (twice), Whitecross and Michael W. Smith. I also had tickets to see Velvet Revolver in San Diego, but Scott Weiland checked into rehab and canceled it the day before, which was after their Los Angeles show. The band disbanded after that show and Weiland died in 2015.

When I saw the B52s at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills, California, I met some guys that took me back stage to meet the band and it was exciting. The musicians were nice and it was a relaxing atmosphere.

I saw U2 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California and there were almost 100,000 people in attendance, which was some sort of a record. I bought tickets from somebody I met online and we got on the floor in front of the stage. We were in the back of one of U2’s videos because we were so close.

Speaking of big shows, my mom attended the original Woodstock music festival in 1969 and I attended Woodstock ‘94. I flew there with my ex-girlfriend that was my girlfriend when we bought the tickets, but we bought them several months in advance. We stayed in a hotel on the first and last day in New York, but we camped at the festival. We didn’t stay together, but we met a lot of people by ourselves and I had an amazing time.

When we landed in the airport in New York, we had to find a way to the concert. We met a few guys with an SUV that offered to take us because they were going there too. It worked out very well because we bought beer and they had weed, so we got lit on the way there and at the show. There was en extraordinary amount of people there and most of them were wasted.

London, England and Dublin, Ireland were exciting places to visit. In London, we stayed with my ex-wife’s aunt and in Dublin, Ireland, we stayed in a hostel. We rode on a double-decker bus, took a ride in the London Eye, visited Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, the Rosetta Stone in the British Museum and rode the Underground tube. I also went to a Delirious concert in a giant ballroom in London.

In Ireland, we visited the city of Dublin, Malahide Castle and drank some Guinness in a pub. We also visited the Trinity College Library and saw the Book of Kells.

When we were at the hostel in Dublin, we met a man from Northern Ireland and he was heading home. We talked about politics and all kinds of things for hours. He had some interesting things to say about Turkey and why they were not in the European Union. He invited us to his home, but we were on a tight schedule and couldn’t go North with him.

At the Dublin pub, I ordered a pint of Guinness. When the bartender asked Sarine what she wanted, she raised to fingers in the air and said, "Make it two". The Irish man sitting next to us started laughing. The bartender reiterated and copied her gesture to confirm her order and he laughed even more. After he went away to pour the beers, the patron next to us explained that she accidentally gave him the, "Up yours" gesture, which is equivalent to the middle finger in America.

Sarine and I sailed in a ferry to Catalina island, which is off the coast of Los Angeles. My massage therapist whose kids I taught music to got married, so we went there for her reception and it was cool. They do not have any cars on the island and everyone gets around in golf carts, on bikes or on foot. We stayed in Avalon and did the tourist things like watch a movie in the Catalina Casino theater, played miniature golf, ate saltwater taffy, went swimming, got tan, etc.

I drove to La Paz, Mexico and visited towns like Guerrero Negro, Mulege and Santa Rosalia on the way. When I arrived at Hotel Los Arcos in La Paz and parked my car in front of it, two transvestites tried to rob me. They were men dressed like women and one of them started touching me and stole my wallet. He did it very quickly and immediately threw it under my car and to his friend on the other side. I grabbed his shirt and shook him and I told him that I knew what he did and that I wanted my wallet back. At first he acted innocent like he didn’t know what I was talking about, so I started yelling, "La policía!" I wasn’t going to let him go until they returned it and they eventually did.

On my way to La Paz, which is 700 miles South of San Diego and in another time zone, I was stopped by a bunch of men with machine guns. They were wearing black and called federales. It was in the middle of nowhere on the 1 highway. The federales searched my car and wanted my boom box (some people call them ghetto blasters). It was in my trunk and they stood with me in front of the trunk with it open and said, "¿Cuantos? ¿Cuantos?" I said, "1,000 pesos" which was $100. It was worth about $120 and it was in perfect condition, but they said no and they repeated themselves, "¿Cuantos ¿Cuantos?" I said, "800 pesos" which was $80 and they said no and repeated themselves. "¿Cuantos? ¿Cuantos?" I said, "600 pesos" which was (you guessed it) $60, but they still said no, so I told them it wasn’t for sale. Bartering with men in black with machine guns in a foreign country by myself was awkward, but I stood my ground and they eventually backed off and let me continue.

I also drove to Rosarito, Mexico and Ensenada, Mexico on brief trips ranging from an afternoon to a couple of days. Before I attended college at SDSU, I visited Tijuana, Mexico many times. It was a fun place to dance with my friends and meet people on Avenida Revolucion bars like Margaritas Village and Papas and Beer. I was pretty burned out of the TJ club scene by the time I enrolled in college.

When I was on my way home in Tijuana, Mexico, I had to pee really badly, so I went in the street. Within a few minutes police cars pulled up and detained me. They wanted a bribe, but I told them that I didn’t have any money and that we were going home from the clubs. They almost threw me in jail, but eventually they let us go. I could see the border crossing, so that’s how close it was to freedom when we had to negotiate with our captors. La policia.

In 2010, I was directing a non-profit corporation and we registered to offer free Disneyland passes with Disney’s "Give A Day, Get A Day" volunteer program. While the passes lasted I directed beach cleanups in Pacific Beach and the volunteers bagged extraordinary amounts of trash on the beach, around the boardwalk and up and down the coast. We gave away about 1,200 free passes to Disneyland too. When the passes ran out we had another beach cleanup for people that had to satisfy court-ordered community service hours and there were only about 40 people.

I taught Bible and history at a Christian middle school during the September 11 terror attacks on the Twin Towers. I also substitute taught elementary school, junior high school and high school in public and private schools. I taught psychology and sociology undergraduate courses at an information technology college.

I visited friends in Flagstaff, Arizona and Parks, Arizona. Staying in those beautiful cities was a fun and relaxing experience.

I have learned how to play the piano, flute, trumpet, tenor sax, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, bass guitar, drums, harmonicas, cow bell, rain stick, maracas, shakers, tambourine and synthesizer.

I put a band together for a performance at a church meeting. We practiced a set of songs and I played guitar and sang while the others played bass and drums. I also performed for groups several times in San Diego and Arizona. I put together Christmas song gigs with my guitar students and we played for a convalescent home in La Jolla, California for several years.

I have published dozens of books and I am currently writing two more books. I have sold copies of them online to people in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Australia, India, Brazil, New Zealand and France.

As of October 15, 2018:

Total poems: 1,261 (26, 48, 170, 108, 170, 80, 39, 148, 36, 75, 26, 63, 55, 51, 102, 62, 2 so far)
Total stories: 385 (136, 44, 54, 29, 16, 21, 25, 30, 30 so far)
Total books: 34 (2 in progress)

A Brand New World: How It All Ends - 2019-2020
Untitled poetry book - in progress
A Brand New World: How You Will Live - in progress
Hard Truths in Hawaii Kai - 62 poems
102 Haikus in Hawaii Kai - 102 poems
A Brand New World: How You Will Die - 30 stories
Madness in Miami - 51 poems
A Brand New World: The First Seven Books - 325 stories
​A Brand New World: Fallen From the Sky - 25 stories​
A Brand New World: After the Anointing - 21 stories
Changes Prepare Me to Fly (formerly Between Costco and Kahala) - 55 poems
A Brand New World: An Audience of One - 16 stories
Untitled (XII) - 63 poems
From the Valley to the Sea: 26 Poems From Maui - 26 poems
A Brand New World: Outside Like Islands - 29 stories
Neverending Summer - 75 poems
A Brand New World: From Station to Station - 54 stories
Looking Out In Honolulu - 36 poems
Hawaii Four-0 - 148 poems
39.5 - 39 poems
A Brand New World: What Happens Next - 44 stories
Five to One Baby - 80 poems
Do the Math Diet
A Brand New World: The First 15 Months - 136 stories
The Wrong Side
Living and Dying in Long Beach - 170 poems
Still Living and Dying in Long Beach - 108 poems
Improvising Made Easy For Guitar and Bass
Growing Great Cannabis (aka Marijuana)
The Skeptic’s Annotated Bible: Corrected and Explained
The Skeptic’s Annotated Bible: Corrected and Explained, The Collegiate Workbook
10,000 Wise Quotes and Spiritual Sayings
Blow Up Your Site (For Free!)
Brand New Poetry - 170 poems
Manifesto Poetry - 48 poems
My Life Beach Surviving San Diego Poetry - 26 poems
40 Top Ten Lists